In March 1934, Adolph and Dorothy Jacobs, as newlyweds,
purchased a small candy shop in downtown Chattanooga.
Starting in business as Jacobs Candy Company,
they realized that they could grow by adding a
wholesale candy operation to their retail store.
They borrowed an uncle’s station wagon, and while
one watched the shop, the other would travel the
rural areas surrounding Chattanooga peddling candy.
next major milestone was the 1956 return to Chattanooga
of the eldest Jacobs daughter, Helen, and her
new husband Victor. With the new management blood
in Helen and the natural sales prowess of Victor,
the business thrived and grew, causing Jacobs
to add products to their wholesale offering. When,
in 1959, Fort Howard Paper found itself with a
train-car load of paper delivered to a bankrupt
local competitor, the Fort made Jacobs’ management
an offer they could not refuse. With the addition
of the new product line, Jacobs Candy became Jacobs
Wholesale Paper Company.
Other company milestones included the return of
Helen’s and Victor’s son Michael in 1984, and
the addition of his wife, Janice, in 2001.
and Dorothy Jacobs